[Kartbuilding] kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Dec 6 18:35:11 GMT 2008

Hi,

Thanks for your email. I'm glad you like the kart building website.
The maximum speed of the karts with the 100cc engines would be around
50mph (miles per hour), depending on the road conditions.

As for having a differential, it would make cornering on rough terrain
easier. With no differential, the kart is good on the road with good
cornering. Off-road then cornering is poor. Adding a differential adds a
lot of weight to the kart so you need to be careful.

I doubt the kart would be street legal, as that would require vehicle
insurance etc. etc. I can't say for definate, but it wouldn't be street
legal in Europe (in my opinion).

The first kart I built took 3-4 months. I could build a kart now in
3-4weeks. As for costs, the first kart I built costed 100 euros and used a
lawnmower engine. The karts I build these days cost 300-400 depending on
the costs of a second hand motorcycle engine.

Best of luck building your kart,
-steve