[Kartbuilding] estimate cost

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Dec 13 16:29:23 GMT 2008

Hi Corne,

If you are going to buy all parts such as bearings, steering wheel, seat
etc. it will cost a lot of $.
If you are able to use a standard plastic chair with the legs cut off, a
homemade steering wheel, and use tubing for bearings, you can make a kart
very cheap. If you make all the components yourself, you will only have to
buy nuts,bolts and some lengths of steel tube. I made a motorised kart for
$70, but I used a lawnmower engine, wheels off a small bycycle, a spoked
wheel for a steering wheel etc.

As for "machining labour". I managed to make all the parts myself with a
good electric drill, a hacksaw (or angle-grinder) and plenty of pieces of
metal. All I had to buy was proper sized bolts washers and nuts. Having a
person to do the welding will make things much easier.

Overall I'd say you could make the kart for $50 - $70. This cost would
cover the lengths of steel required, and the bolts, nuts and washers
required. Make sure you get nyloc locknuts, so they wont loosen with
vibrations. While this kart would not be very efficient or fast, it would
work.