[Kartbuilding] centrifugal clutches

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Feb 4 20:11:07 GMT 2008

Hi Tim,

The easiest way would be to get the transaxle/gearbox from a
ride-on/tractor lawnmower, however as you said below, these would have a
very low gear ratio and you might have to gear up.
To be honest, no matter what gearbox/transaxle you get, it will be very
in-efficient. There will have to be two drive connections:

engine -( chain )-> transaxle -( chain )-> rear axle

I tried the above before:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC00978.JPG.html
and again had to gear up quite substantially. Although the setup worked,
it weighed a lot. It would be possible to eliminate one chain from the
above setup by using a coupling, however this would be expensive.

Searching for a gearbox/transaxle on northerntool.com revealed little
suitable options for a kart.

To conclude, I dont know of a special gearbox for a gokart which will take
a vertical input. If you obtained one from a tractor/ride-on lawnmower and
adapted it to suit, while it would work, it would be innefficient and
heavy.
I suggest you look towards small motorbike engines altogether. This is
what I have done, and it is much easier and more efficient. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04640.JPG.html
I paid 100 euros for a 100cc motorbike engine at a motorbike repair shop.
It has 4 gears and a manual clutch.

The v-belt, centrifical clutch and transaxles are if you want to bodge /
engineer some setup with minimal cost.