[Kartbuilding] steering geometry

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Feb 18 21:54:47 GMT 2008

Hi Alexei,

Sorry I didnt reply to your email sooner.
Yes - there are some differences between the camber angles on the racing
kart and off-road kart plans on the kartbuilding website.
It is 5 degrees on the off-road and 12 on the racing kart (
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/kingpins.htm  and
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_03_Chassis.pdf
)
The exact angle depends on the type of wheel/tyre been used. On the
off-road kart which had wheelbarrow wheels, a 5 degree angle sufficed. On
the racing kart, the wheels were substantially wider. There is no
definitive camber angle, or any equation to calculate this angle (as far
as I am aware). I wrote a blog post on steering in karts and it can be
found at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/07/12/steering-geometry-and-setup-for-go-karts/

To summarize, as the wheelbarrow wheels on the off-road kart were round
(as opposed to flat), a 5 degree angle sufficed (a larger angle would not
make any difference to tire wear etc.). I suggest you use 10
degrees for the camber angle on your kart. It would be possible to adjust
the camber angle afterwards, although it would require some work.