[Kartbuilding] centrifugal clutches

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Jan 31 21:59:34 GMT 2008

Hi Tim,

Centrifical clutches are very common. They are in mopeds/scooters and also
on chainsaws. Yes - you are correct, they basically just engage when the
engine speeds up. Imagine a centrifical clutch as follows:
If you were holding a bucket of water in your hand. If you started turing
around fast, you would feel the bucket of water move outwards and rise up.
The weights in a centrifical clutch act in the exact same way. As the
engine speeds up, the weights are pulled outwards and they grip the outer
bell housing and turns the sprocket. More information on centrifical
clutches can be found on the kartbuilding blog at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/

The 10hp Briggs and Stratton engine, although it sounds powerful, with a
vertical shaft, it is going to be very difficult to get working. I would
recommend you try and fine another engine, one with a horizontal output
shaft.
If you did want to try and use the vertical shaft drive engine you have,
you wont be able to use a chain and sprockets to drive the kart. What you
could do is to mount the centrifical clutch onto the vertical shaft of the
engine. Then instead of using the sprocket, you would have to use a V belt
and V pulley wheel. If you ever look under the bonnet of an old car, you
will see the V belt driving the alternator to charge the battery. By using
a V belt, it can twist and rotate by 90 degrees, from the small pulley you
would attach to the centrifical clutch to the larger V belt pulley wheel
on the rear axle. You might get an idea of the above on this page:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/chassis_explained.htm
You would have the added advantage however of the automatic centrifical
clutch, meaning the kart could be stationary and the engine idling.

Anyways, the best of luck with it. If you manage to build something, feel
free to send on some photos of the kart and I can put them on
kartbuilding.net to help other fellow kart builders.

-steve