[Kartbuilding] What else?

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Jan 22 18:57:22 GMT 2008

Hi Richmond,

Thanks for your email. I will endeavour to answer your questions and
provide some advice.
For the off-road/general purpose kart plans as on
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/plans.htm  I initially bought very
little parts. In total I bought:

- Round Steel Tubing (25mm) :: Got from a local hardware store.
- Round steel bar (8mm) :: Got from a local hardware store.
- Flat Steel bar (25mm X 5mm) :: Got from a local hardware store.
- M8 x 50mm long Bolts with washers and nuts. :: Got from a local hardware
store.
- 2 x M12 x 80mm long Bolts with washers and nuts for the king pins. ::
Got from a local hardware store.
- Welding Rods and Angle Grinder discs. :: Got from a local hardware
store.
- Accelerator cables and sheathing from a bycycle repair shop
- An old handbrake cable from a car dismantlers

- Motorbike engine. This cost the most at around .100. I did however use
an old generator engine on that kart in the beginning and I obtained it
for free. I got the generator off a motorbike/lawnmower repair shop. The
motorbike engine was obtained from a motorbike dismantlers.

Things I obtained for free by asking people for them:

- 4 Wheelbarrow wheels. (These took 2-3 months to go around asking
builders on building sites etc.)
- Checker plate off a friend.
- Steering box from an old crashed VW car
- Some old springs for the pedal returns from an old desk lamp
- An old broken plastic seat from my old school.
- A damaged steering wheel from a local karting track/arena
- Pipe insulation scraps for the side supports of the seat.

Photos of the above kart can be found at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/

I also suggest you look at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/other_karts/other_karts.html
There is a PDF document of a student who made an electric powered kart. Im
sure it will be of good use to yourself.

As for the frame, make sure you use "dry" timber (not timber that is
soaking wet), and probably "white deal" pine timber would be ok to use.

I hope the above information is useful. If you do get any photos of the
kart, feel free to email them on and perhaps help some more people.