[Kartbuilding] wooden chassis fibreglass kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Jun 16 20:22:22 IST 2008

Hi Rob,

I had often thought of using the metal chassis off a pedal go cart. While
its possible, again, it would be suitable for high speed. Typically nylon
bushings are used in pedal go carts. For high speed, bearings should be
used throughout, from steering to king-pins to axles.

You could indeed try and use the front end and analyse the steering setup.
The basics of the steering on a pedal cart are the same as on racing
karts. Again however, I would only use the parts off the pedal cart for
testing purposes only.

If your looking towards clutches and gears, you had to think and plan out
what you want. I would recommend using an automatic centrifical clutch.
There is no wiring up etc. It just works. See:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01111.JPG.html
As for gears, I would leave these for another revision of a kart. If you
want both a clutch and gears working, then you should look towards getting
a small 100cc motorbike engine.

The 2hp strimmer might be usable to power a kart, however it would have to
be geared down a lot to move a kart. As a result with an estimate of a
1:10 gear ratio which would be required, the cart would only move
15-20mph.