[Kartbuilding] Fw: go cart gearbox

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Mar 2 18:10:33 GMT 2008

Hi James,

That kart looks very well (as in the attached photo). Its a pity it didnt
last the real test of time and wear and tear. Im afraid that I dont know
the exact solution or replacement gearbox you are looking for. I would say
confidently that it is only the clutch that is at fault, and that you
might be able to get/order new clutch friction pads/discs. More than
likely the clutch could be worn down to the metal and causing the jerks
and jumps. Alas, I dont know where you would go about getting a
replacement clutch for that kart. You would have to take apart the kart
and split the gearbox casing to get at the clutch to determine what
exactly is wrong.
All I can recommend is to change the gearbox oil. This is seperate to the
engine and might help things a lot.