[Kartbuilding] custom go kart - Diesel Engine and Transmission

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Mar 26 00:18:03 GMT 2008

Hi Jake,

If you want to put a diesel engine and transmission into your kart, it
depends on how big the kart is and how large an engine it can accommodate.
Does it have to be a diesel engine?
- If so, then it will be a physically larger engine. The best place to get
a diesel engine and transmission, is from a large tractor ride-on
lawnmower. This will give you a complete unit which you can use.

Typically, any engine, diesel or petrol (gas) will not have much climbing
power with a high top speed. A transmission/gearbox will be required.
You say that you want a speed of 40mph - but is that on the flat or going
uphill?

To be honest, a two-stroke engine with 3-4 gears would be the best for
you. A two-stroke engine like this (100cc - 250cc) can be obtained from an
old motorcycle.

If your still going to go down the diesel engine route, then be prepared
to wait for a suitable engine.

Apologies I can't be of more assistance.