[Kartbuilding] Cart steering specs

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon May 12 23:35:59 IST 2008

Hi Chip,

Apologies for the slow reply. Thanks for your email. Im not sure if you
got anymore done with the mini nascar race cart.

I setup a single rear wheel drive on one of my karts and I found some
strange behaviour. I found that depending on which of the rear wheels was
driven/powered (right or left), then the kart turned much quicker to the
left/right.

As you were saying, the larger angles for camber and castor are to cause a
jacking effect which is required on karts with a solid live rear axle.

To be honest, I think it will take a number of tries to determine the best
fit. I ended up grinding off the weld on the King Pin and reattaching it
at a different angle to try and obtain more efficient cornering. I found
that the less severe the figures the better performance I obtained. A 10
degree castor and 5 degree camber would be an excellent start. It may take
some trial and error however.