[Kartbuilding] question about tubing material to construct kart frame

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon May 12 23:45:08 IST 2008

Hi Javier,

Apologies for the slow reply.
As for tubing material to construct a kart, I would recommend using thin
walled mild-steel tubing. It is much much easier to weld together, to
paint, and will cost a lot less money.

I have also found that it is not the chassis, but rather the type and size
of engine, rear axle and wheels which can contribute to the most weight of
a kart.

If you wanted to reduce weight, you could look towards using a hollow rear
axle, as a solid steel bar of 30 or 35mm would be substantial.