[Kartbuilding] question about sprocket

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Sep 6 16:18:29 IST 2008

Hi Jernej,

The gear ratio (size of drive and driven sprockets) depends a lot on the
following factors:
1. The size of the Rear Wheels
2. The RPM of the engine

Typically for a standard racing kart (as in
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Commercial_Karts-Photos_and_Details/
) with a rear wheel diameter of 250mm and a 5hp engine with 5000rpm (max),
the gear ratio would be 5:1 (most common gear ratio used). There would be
a sprocket with 10 teeth on the engine, and a large sprocket with 50 teeth
(approx) on the rear axle.
Engine sprocket with 10teeth:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01032.JPG.html
Large rear sprocket with approx 50 teeth:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01024.JPG.html

What I would recommend however is the following:
Look at the following 3 photos:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01026.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01027.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01028.JPG.html
To enable quick and easy changing of the rear sprocket (to try different
sizes), cut a piece out of the sprocket with a narrow angle-grinder. Once
the new sprocket is bolted onto the rear axle, it can be re-welded
together. I have used this method which works perfectly. This allowed me
to experiment with different sizes of rear sprockets, and saved me from
having to remove bearings, wheels etc. when replacing the sprocket.

As a result I would suggest the following:
Get a small sprocket with between 10 and 15 teeth for the engine.
Get a couple of different sized sprockets with between 40 and 70 teeth for
the rear axle.

Lastly, if you want to calculate the estimated speed of your kart, take a
read of the following webpage:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/kart_speed/index.html

As far as chains go, take a look at the following photo:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01066.JPG.html
The one on the left is a bycycle chain. On the right is the chain I used
for the kart. Unforunately I forget the exact specs of the chain, but it's
a standard one used on commercial karts (as in photo above). (From looking
at the chain photos, I can make out KCM - 428H as the type of chain). A
chain splitter can be used to take the chain down to the correct length (
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Karting_Tools_and_Equipment/Hand_Tools/DSC02320.JPG.html
) and a split link used to join the chain back together.

I hope this answers some of your questions.