[Kartbuilding] Materials and Measurements

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Fri Apr 17 21:40:51 IST 2009

Hi Kev,

The measurement system used for the chassis and the whole kart is
"millimeters". There are 1000 millimeters (mm) in 1 meter.
I done up a very quick grocery list to get the kart to the rolling chassis
stage. Basically I just went down through the plans on
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html and just wrote down the
bits needed. They are all below.

Bill of Materials for Racing Kart to get it to the "Rolling Chassis"
stage:

1. Lengths of Metal Tubing. Outside Diameter of 25mm (or 1 inch). You'll
probably need around 10 meters.
2. 1 meter of 20mm (3/4 inch) solid round steel bar (for front axles)
3. 2 meters of Flat Steel bar. 25mm wide by 5mm thick (for king pins and
steering drop arm).
3.1 1 meter of Flat Steel bar. 50mm wide by 5mm thick (for king pins).
4. 2 x Diameter 13mm Bolts x 75mm long. (For the King Pins).
5. Two 200mm x 100mm x 3mm flat steel plate for the Rear Axle Carriers
6. Round Steel Bar. Diameter 30mm x 1100mm long. (For the Rear Axle)
7. Two Roller Bearings. Inside Diameter 30mm. (For Rear Axle).
8. Two Front Wheels with hubs + bearings. The two front wheels should have
bearings inside them to suit a 3/4inch (20mm) axle.
9. Two Rear Wheels with Hubs which can be fixed/welded/bolted/keyed to a
30mm diameter axle.
10. 1 disc brake and calliper from a moped/scooter (small motorbike).
11. 1 large sprocket (40-50 teeth) and 1 small sprocket (10-15 teeth) and
1 chain from a motorbike.
12. 4 "rose end bearings" for the front track rods.
13. 2 meters of 3/4inch (20mm) steel tubing for front track rods, and
steering column.
14. 4 M8 bolts x 40mm long. (for front track rods).
15. 1 steering wheel

If you have any specific questions, just drop us an email.