[Kartbuilding] Plans for a Lawnmower Powered Go-Kart - Finished

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Dec 21 22:22:41 GMT 2009

Hi Drew,

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been very busy with work the past two
weeks.
Anyways, I had the exact same problem as you to begin with! I had
difficulty starting the engine without the blade and thought it acted as a
flywheel. It was as if the engine "kicked back" when I pulled the starter
cord. Was this the same for you?

I did try bolting on weights to act as a flywheel. After trial and error,
I realised that I did not need the balance or flywheel at all! Starting
the engine just needed a good firm pull to get it going.
My advice to you is to persist with it. The Briggs and Stratton engine
should start fine without the blade. You could remove and clean the spark
plug to make sure the engine is firing cleanly.

Let me know how it goes.