[Kartbuilding] question

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Feb 16 22:01:41 GMT 2009

Hi,

Putting the shifter (gear lever) behind the steering wheel would require a
LOT of work. I'm not sure if it would work. The easiest method would be to
use a cable and operate the gears similar to a brake cable.
Using levers to change gear restricts the position of the shifter (gear
lever). E.g.:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/Ebrahim_Zare/DSC011.JPG.html
A good job of having a shifter (gear lever) behind the steering wheel can
be seen in:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/other_karts/110ccKart/P1010597.JPG
http://www.kartbuilding.net/other_karts/110ccOffroadKart.html

You could go down the electrical route, which although this would be
better, it would require a LOT of time and work getting motors and
actuators etc.

I suggest you go down the cable operated lever approach, similar to how
the brake cable works. E.g.:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/Ebrahim_Zare/DSC01.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04611.JPG.html