[Kartbuilding] Go kart + engine

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Jul 26 21:43:48 IST 2009

Hi Wajih,

The gas pedal is connected to the engine via a small cable. (Similar to a
brake cable off a bycycle). There are some photos of cables for brakes and
accelerators here:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04592.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Engines_for_Karts/General_Purpose_Engine_G42-50/DSC02357.JPG.html

As for the disc brakes with the calipers, I suggest having a similar setup
as on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html  (Number 9)
http://www.tamarisktechnicals.co.uk/images/kart/brake2.jpg
http://www.tamarisktechnicals.co.uk/images/kart/brake4.jpg
Get the brake lever or pedal mechanism that was initially with the disc
brake. Mount the brake lever on the chassis, and connect a cable from the
brake pedal to the brake lever.
It is quite difficult to get a disc brakes where brake fluid is involved
working. I suggest that people take the front brake including calliper and
brake lever from a motorbike. Attach the caliper to the disc on the rear
axle (
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_09_Rear_Brakes.pdf
). Bolt the brake lever off the motorbike beside the disc caliper at the
rear of the go kart. Then, connect this brake lever to the brake foot
pedal of the kart using a cable (either from a motorbike, or a handbrake
cable from a car).

Take a look through the photos and diagrams on the gallery at: