[Kartbuilding] steering geometry and building time

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Jul 26 21:51:34 IST 2009

Hi Max,

As for the Akerman Steering Geometry, I think having the steering arms
pointing in towards the middle of the rear axle is best. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_04_Front_Stub_Axles_and_KingPins.pdf
and http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/ackerman.htm
This is opposed to the steering arm pointing outwards towards the tyre.

As for how long would it take, if you had everything to hand (ideal
situation) you could build the kart in 10 days. Typically the steering,
pedals and transmission take the most time. You will have the chassis made
in 1 day.