[Kartbuilding] go kart steering question

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon May 4 22:02:08 IST 2009

Hi Rick,

I'm glad you got the kart sorted. Thanks for letting me know too. Perhaps
this adjusting of the front spindles will help someone encountering these
problems in future!

You were lucky there were adjusters built into the spindles (king pin) to
allow for adjusting the height. It is strange how it made such a
difference. I've had a similar issue with a chassis, and I managed to
successfully adjust it with some brute force. It did work. In my case, I
drilled a mounting hole in the chassis (BAD idea. I now weld a lug onto
the chassis onto which to bolt items), and it gradually bent in this
location. After realising this, I managed to bend the chassis back (by
putting one of the front wheels and one of the rear wheels on blocks,
supporting one corner and pressing down on the opposite corner. It worked
quite well. When I had the chassis straightened, I welded a extra bracing
piece to it.

Anyways, glad you got your kart sorted.