[Kartbuilding] centrifugal clutch

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Fri May 15 19:45:21 IST 2009

Hi Raphael,

Sorry for not replying to your earlier email (sent a week ago) sooner.
The two stroke lawnmower engine sounds good. Is the drive/output shaft
vertical or horizontal? (Is the engine drive shaft coming out the bottom
or side?) This will affect your transmission.

If the engine drive shaft is coming out the bottom of the engine, then
chains and a centrifical clutch may not be the best way to go. If however
the engine drive shaft is coming out the side of the engine, then you'll
be able to use a centrifical clutch with a small sprocket on the engine, a
large sprocket on the rear axle, and to connect them up with a chain.

As for whether the centrifical clutch will work with your engine, all you
can do is try it and see. Obviously if you could find out how many rpm
(revs per minute) your engine is, then you might know more.

My advice is to go ahead, try it with a centrifical clutch. If it does not
work, then you can easily swap in a better centrifical clutch. There are
many different centrifical clutches for different engage speeds and for
horsepower (hp) ratings of engines.

If your looking to get a new centrifical clutch, then take a read of:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/
There are links on that blog post to northerntool and cometkartsales where
you can look up different types of centrifical clutches.

I did however manage to get a centrifical clutch off a chainsaw working on
a go-kart! Perhaps you could try this cheap option first. Go to a chainsaw
hire or repair shop and ask the person there if they have any old/spare
centrifical clutches.