[Kartbuilding] Adding brakes to wooden go-kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu May 21 23:30:51 IST 2009

Hi Jonathan,

Take a read of the following webpage:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/brakes.htm

Its a little dated. It would be possible to use the brakes off a bycycle
for a kart. Its also possible to get a crude piece of timber, bolt it to
the side of the kart, and have it a lever effect, so by pushing the top of
it, the end of the stick will scrape off the ground and slow the kart
down. E.g.
http://www.stormthecastle.com/how-to-make-a/how-to-make-a-go-kart.htm
You could also mount the lever so it rubs agains the rear tyre. It all
depends on how heavy the kart and driver is, and how fast the kart will be
going.