[Kartbuilding] Chassis Design

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Oct 26 17:42:14 GMT 2009

Hi Craig,

Unforunately I wouldn't have any specific information regarding torsional
stiffness of kart chassis.
Take a look at the following blog I wrote on FIA Kart plans. They have a
lot of information in these plans and should provide you with some of the
theory you are looking for.
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/07/12/free-technical-kart-drawings-fia/

You are correct, there is an ideal amount of stiffness/flexibility
required to take the role of suspension to allow the inner wheel to lift
when cornering. This is required when there is no differential and both
rear wheels are locked to the live axle. In my opinion there is little
information about this topic, as most studies done are on karts with
suspension and this changes things.

Best of luck with the project. Let us know how things go.
-steve