[Kartbuilding] steering problem

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Aug 2 18:10:08 IST 2010

Hi Greg,

I know exactly what you are experiencing. The steering sticks and catches
when going from full lock.

I don't have a step by step guide for the exact setup of steering on a
go-kart. On the karts I built, I didn't have any toe-in or toe-out.

The details I outlined on steering are at:
http://kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/steering.htm
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/fullsteering.htm
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_12_Front_Steering_End.pdf

What I would suggest:
Check to see if anything else was bent out of shape. Was the chassis
itself bent slightly?
Does the steering catch when going from full-lock on the right, or left,
or both?
Is the front steering pivots over tightened?
Check the ackermann angle. It may be the case that you are allowing too
much of a lock on the steering. This can be adjusted by the angle of the
steering arm.
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/ackerman.htm