[Kartbuilding] Brakes

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Aug 2 17:57:46 IST 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your email.
There are plans for adding brakes to the wooden go-kart on the following
page:
http://kartbuilding.net/Lawnmower_Powered_Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/rear-brakes.html

It does depend on the type of wheels you use however. The method shown
in the image you emailed should work also. It appears to be a lever
which pushes a pad against the tyre to stop the kart.
I've seen other designs where a lever is pushed against the ground to
stop the kart.
See:
http://www.stormthecastle.com/how-to-make-a/how-to-make-a-go-kart.htm
^ this is where a lever pushes against the ground to stop the kart.

http://braingymplayhouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dscn3166.JPG
^ this is where a lever pushes against the wheel to stop the kart.

You can always try both method and see which one works best.

-steve