[Kartbuilding] question about parts

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Mon Aug 9 22:27:57 IST 2010

Hi Barbara,

I'm glad you like the plans and are finding them useful.

As for where to get the pulley wheels:
1. You may be able to get the 2 small aluminium pulley wheels from an old
washing machine. Would you know any washing machine repair shops you could
go and visit? Newer washing machines use plastic pulley wheels which are
no good, but older machines had useable aluminium ones.

2. You might be able to get a steel v-belt pulley wheel from a car. Do you
know any car scrapyards? Old cars have Fan Belt V-pulleys and due to the
heat of the engine, had steel pulley wheels. The reason for the steel of
course for the rear axle is that you will be able to get someone to weld
the steel pulley wheel to the rear axle.

You should be able to buy the pulley wheels if all else fails. I'm not
sure what "hardware store" you would have local. See:
http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageId=365&N=4294967270&No=60
http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/tools/V-belt%20Pulleys
http://doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=342016

Try and get as large a steel pulley for the rear axle as you can. Try and
have it 5 times the diameter as the pulley on the engine, as this will
give a good gear ratio.

Best of luck with the build. If you take any photos, feel free to email
them on.

-steve