[Kartbuilding] question

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Feb 17 23:03:14 GMT 2010

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your email.

Are you looking to make an actual steering wheel or are you looking to see
how you can add steering to the wooden kart?

Unforunately there is no easy way to add steering to the simple wooden
kart as on: http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html

It would be possible to put a vertical steering column attached to the
main steering hex bolt as in
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/JPG_wooden_go-kart_plans/Wooden_Kart_Plans_7.jpg

You could also add a sort of "tiller arm" to provide steering of the kart
which could be done by hand. It would be a T shaped piece of timber/steel
which is directly attached (screwed etc.) to the front axle. Then when the
T is rotated, it rotates the front axle. It is quite crude however.

I hope this helps.