[Kartbuilding] steering geometry on reverse trike???

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Jun 7 21:27:57 IST 2010

Hi Jeff,

I don't know much on reverse trike's to be honest. A quick google led me
to http://www.reversetrike.com/ and from a few images on that website it
appears that the steering can get quite complicated.

My thoughts would be: plan to build a few prototypes. You would be lucky
to have your first reverse trike work perfectly. In its most simple
form, I don't think you would need to change things too much from a
normal steering setup and I'd use this as a start.
As you mentioned and as I seen on some of the images of reversetrike a
large castor angle does seem to be used to assist weight transfer.
Perhaps you could design a chassis (in particular the king pin) which
would allow you to vary and adjust the castor angle. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/PlAnS/Types_of_Yokes_Adjustable_Camber_Castor_Angle.pdf

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

-steve