[Kartbuilding] your mail

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed May 19 00:43:09 IST 2010

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your email and good comments.
You're not the first person to ask about wanting to change the speed of an
engine by modifying the throttle. I suggest you read some of the previous
emails I wrote on this. See:
http://lists.kartbuilding.net/2006-December/000308.html  and
http://lists.kartbuilding.net/2006-December/000304.html

Specifically, you are going to have to get a brake cable off an old
bicycle and adapt it to fit your engine, so when you operate the pedal it
will pull the cable and in turn this will operate the lever on the engine.
See: http://www.kartbuilding.net/PlAnS/Engine_Throttle_Cable_Operation.jpg

You need to be able to move the metal lever on the lawnmower engine. It
should be possible to do this, you may have to bend a piece of metal out
of the way and then the lever should move ok. You may also have to connect
an extra spring to make sure the lever returns back to the normal position
when your foot is taken off the throttle.

I hope this helps.