[Kartbuilding] Help

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Tue Oct 5 13:47:07 IST 2010

Hi,

You are correct, if you put the large pulley on the engine, and the small
pulley on the rear axle, the kart would go faster.

However, when you gear up for speed, you loose power and torque.
It would be like trying to drive a car in 5th gear. It would stall the
engine.

Its actually a tough balance to get the sizes of pulleys correct. I
typically find that having a rear pulley 4 to 5 times the diameter of the
pulley on the engine gives a good speed and good take-off-power.

Also, if you do the maths, with RPM of the engine and size of the rear
wheel, you would find that there would be large "theoritical" speeds
reached.

A bicycle is a good example. The person has LOTS of power but low speed.
Small engines have LOTS of speed, but relatively low power.

You could always try it yourself and see. Get a kart built and try
different size pulleys and see what speeds and power you get.