[Kartbuilding] Kart from old lawn tractor

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sun Dec 11 00:39:59 GMT 2011

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your email and the good comments.

The old tractor lawnmower should be good for a kart. Hopefully its not too
big or bulky for the kart.

I'm not sure if you will be able to use "all chains". If the engines shaft
is vertical, I think you'll still need to use a belt for this section.
(i.e. on the second last image on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/drive/Differential.htm you'll need to use a
belt. A chain in this position would not stay on the sprockets. )

As for the speed and gearing, I suggest getting a few different size of
rear sprockets and see how fast/slow they go. See the images at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01028.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01029.JPG.html
http://lists.kartbuilding.net/2009-December/000808.html

This way you can set the speed of the kart to a safe limit.