[Kartbuilding] steering..?

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Wed Dec 14 22:00:49 GMT 2011

Hi Ross,

Ya, I myself prefer putting the track rods under the chassis. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_13_Steering_Column_and_Linkage.pdf
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04596.JPG.html

However it does reduce the ground clearance. See Rear Elevation in:
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_01_Complete_Assembly.pdf

I find that having the track rods under the chassis that it doesn't get in
the way of the drivers feet and makes the drop-arm from the steering
column a little neater.

You can of course however have the steering setup (track rods, steering
arms) above the chassis. See page 4 and 5 of:
http://kartbuilding.net/Highway_Street_Kart_1962/original_plans_in_pdf/Build_Your_Own_Street_Legal_Kart--Modern_Mechanix.pdf

It won't affect the handling as long as you have the ackerman angle
correct.
See: http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/ackerman.htm
Some people choose to reverse the ackerman angle so the steering arms
point out towards the tyre, but I find this reduces the space too much.
You can weld/attach the steering arms to the "n" shaped yoke at the top.
This will allow the track rods to be above the chassis. You can also have
the steering arms point towards the front of the kart (with the same
ackerman angle) - this is what is done on the highway street kart plans.