[Kartbuilding] I'm building a cart using ur plans....I have a question!?

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sat Dec 17 19:15:25 GMT 2011

Hi Jesse,

I'm glad you like the kart plans. Yes, there are few people on the
Internet who seem to volunteer kart plans. I know people took the plans
off my website - kartbuilding.net and started selling them on ebay!

Anyways, onto your question. It will be OK to use 3/4" box section. You
will have to cut all the angles as it is very difficult to bend box iron.
(Even on one of my karts with tubing, I cut and welded the joints. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/chassis.htm )

As long as you don't put too many cross braces, the chassis should be able
to flex sufficiently. Make sure to not drill holes in the chassis. It will
weaken it too much. Weld on lugs if you need to bolt/attach something to
the chassis.

For an idea on a similar kart made from box section, see:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/OscarForand/
While having square tubing may not look as nice as round tubing, if you
have it left over, then you might as well put it to good use.