[Kartbuilding] DIY go-karts (race-lawnmower engine)

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Mon Jul 4 22:00:32 IST 2011

Hi Gerard,

If you want to build a racing kart with a lawnmower engine, then the belt
drive & tensioner method that is used on the kartbuilding.net website
won't be suitable. The steering (front arm pivoting with your feet) isn't
really suitable for high speeds either.

When you say lawnmower engine, can you choose if it has a "horizontal"
output shaft (instead of a standard "vertical" drive shaft")?
If you can get a lawnmower engine with a "horizontal" drive shaft (used on
cylinder lawnmowers - see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xin2lTnx2aQ )
then you can use a chain drive and centrifical clutch. That's what you
need really if you are going to race the kart.

If you're stuck with a "Vertical" drive shaft, then you should look into
getting the gearbox off a ride-on lawnmower. This will take the drive from
a vertical shaft and drive the rear wheels. (Actually tractor or ride-on
lawnmower racing is very common).

I'd suggest you make a metal chassis and get a proper steering setup in
place. That would mean following either of the two sets of plans on the
kartbuilding.net website:
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html
http://kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/plans.htm

I hope this information is useful.