[Kartbuilding] Power output for simple go kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Mon Jul 4 22:05:10 IST 2011

Hi James,

I got 20mph with a 3.5hp briggs and stratton engine. I used the
belt-tensioner clutch ( as on:
http://kartbuilding.net/Lawnmower_Powered_Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/belt-tensioner-clutch.html
) and while the take-off was slow (working the belt tensioner clutch), as
the engine struggled, once I got going, it got to 20mph no problem.

As a result, I don't think it will be the size of the engine that will be
the problem. It will be making a light kart. If you can get a better
steering setup, that would be brilliant. As you said at fast speeds
steering with your feet is not ideal.