[Kartbuilding] Lawn mower engine powered wooden go kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sat Jun 25 01:23:27 IST 2011

Hi Max,

The function of the governor is to regulate the speed of the engine to
keep it at a regular RPM.

Engines for power genators, water pumps and lawnmowers all require the
engine to keep a "nice" even speed (RPM).

With a governor, if the RPM of the engine drops, then the throttle (or
valve on the carburetor) is automatically opened more, to allow in more
petrol mixture and to try and bring back up the rpm of the engine.
Likewise, if the engine RPM increased too much, the governor would close
the butterfly valve and bring down the rpm of the engine.

So the governor on an engine is to try and regulate the speed of the
engine keeping it at constant speed.

However for a kart, you want "direct" control of the throttle (and
butterfly valve on the carburetor).

The governor is "typically" a set of springs connected to a a lever which
controls the butterfly valve on the carburetor.
For example see:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Engines_for_Karts/General_Purpose_Engine_G42-50/DSC02357.JPG.html
You will notice a set of springs. You will notice where my thumb is shown
and how there are 2 holes to accept a throttle cable.
There is a very small vertical wire connected to the left of the lever.
This wire is what directly opens and closes the butterfly valve in the
carburetor.
To bypass the governer, this is what should be controlled with your gas
pedal.

Taking a quick look on youtube, I found the following 3 videos.
1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1f_I7PfSs
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry6bVpEcO7c
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYVKRv612g

Some videos show people opening up the engine to disable the internals
which controls the linkage to the throttle on the carburetor. In my
opinion, it is easier just to control the throttle directly on the
carburetor. See the end of Video 1 above.

Another option is to "shorten" the length of the springs connected from
the governor. This makes the springs stiffer and allows more direct
control of the throttle valve on the carburetor.

Once the governor is disabled, make sure not to rev the guts out of the
engine.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck,
-Steve