[Kartbuilding] Lawn mower engine powered wooden go kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Thu Jun 23 00:08:10 IST 2011

Hi Adam,

I got 30mph in one of my wooden karts and that was with a 3.5hp lawnmower
engine with the governor removed. You can go faster with a bigger engine,
but you have to make sure your build quality is perfect. You would also
need to use bearings for the rear axle (instead of the pipe bushings I
outlined on the plans) if you want to go faster.
Also, the way the front axle is pivoted simply, it is not ideal for high
speed. You can tighten up the front pivot bolt to help make the steering
tighter (so bumps on the road don't cause the front wheels to pivot).

I hope this helps. Typically wooden karts are the first step to
kartbuilding. You'll soon progress onto metal based karts.