[Kartbuilding] sand buggy

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sat Mar 12 14:15:39 GMT 2011

Hi Max,

Sorry for not replying sooner. Quite busy myself going from pillar to post!

That steering rack is very nice. Its like new and looks to fit good.
Glad to hear you got the pipe bent for you. Hopefully it didn't cost too
much. Many people email me asking how they'd manage it and I tell them
to look for a local engineering shop to help them. The bent tubular
frame does make the kart look good and is worth getting done.

The centrifugal clutch and chain is what I'd go for too. It's the
simplest and cheapest to setup. A torque converter requires extra setup
and in some cases an extra transmission axle. E.g.:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/allbrite-engineering/DSC06427.JPG.html

It's always useful to have someone willing to do the painting! I know I
got lazy and went to try painting the kart when I had it all built at
the end. Of course I had oil and grease everywhere and the paint didn't
stick too well. I'm sure your sons will be looking to put a second seat
on the kart for them for all their hard work in the build.

I've put up the photos on the kartbuilding gallery at:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/Max-Sand-Buggy/
I know the photos will inspire and give useful ideas to other kart
builders. I was looking through the gallery also, and I think it was
yourself who emailed me with photos of a wooden go-kart you made
previously! (
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/Max-go-kart/ ) Good
to see your making good progress from the wooden kart to a real sand buggy.

Talk to you again. Let me know how the build goes.