[Kartbuilding] shifter kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Mon May 2 15:38:22 IST 2011

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your email. I'm glad you like the shifter kart plans.

The Rear wheels were 12" (or 300mm) outside Diameter.
You can see some of the pictures of the wheels and hubs I used at:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/RacingKart_Sold/ and
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Commercial_Karts-Photos_and_Details/

The front wheels were a little smaller, but only in width. If you have
money/budget to suit, you could just look to buy a set of racing kart
wheels from ebay or similar. See:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Go-Kart-Tires-Wheels-Racing-Bar-Stool-Radio-Flyer-/310314723217

But to be honest, for starting off any wheels will be fine.

For the front wheels, take a read of the following page:
http://kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/faxle.htm
You can also see some photos at:
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/fullsteering.htm
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_10_Front_Wheels_and_Hubs.pdf
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_12_Front_Steering_End.pdf

The hubs for the wheels should have bearings in them. The hub then
attaches onto the front stub axle and is held in place with a large nut.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.