[Kartbuilding] Make a Chassis

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Thu Apr 12 19:44:56 IST 2012

Hi Maximiliano,

4130 CrMo ERW ( Chromoly/Chromium-Molybdenum Steel, Electric Resistance
Welded pipe ) should be more than sufficient for the kart chassis. To be
honest, I never spent that much on steel tubing for the kart chassis I
made. I typically used Mild Steel ERW pipe of 3mm wall thickness. Your
4130 CrMo ERW pipe may be lighter and even stronger.

Whatever material you use to make the chassis, make sure not to drill any
holes which would weaken the chassis. Instead weld on lugs or mounts, to
which you can drill a hole and attach the part (such as the seat and
engine mounts) to. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_16_Engine_Cradle_Support.pdf