[Kartbuilding] building a wooden cart with a steering wheel

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Fri Feb 10 00:13:53 GMT 2012

Hi Sidney,

Details for the wooden kart which has a steering wheel can be found at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden-Push-Cart/

Specifically the parts for the steering and axles can be seen at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden-Push-Cart/JPG_wooden_push_cart/Sheet-6_Lower-Chassis-Assembly-2.jpg
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden-Push-Cart/JPG_wooden_push_cart/Sheet-8_Bonnet-Assembly-1.jpg

The front wheels are attached using two steering arms made from wood. The
steel stub axles are secured to these steering arms using "U" bolts.
The two steering arms are connected with track rods bent from 4mm steel
bar.
Finally, the steering column which comes from the steering wheel, moves
the track rods from side to side and thus turning the front wheels.

All parts can be bought at a local hardware shop. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden-Push-Cart/JPG_wooden_push_cart/Sheet-2_Exploded-View-Parts-List.jpg