[Kartbuilding] Lawnmower powered go-kart with 16in. wheels

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Thu Jul 12 23:02:05 IST 2012

Hi,

You can use 16in bike wheels. It might however make the kart a little too
high off the ground however and going around corners, the kart may not be
that stable.

With the larger wheels, you will need to gear down further. I.e. you'll
need a small pulley on the engine and a very large pulley on the rear
axle. For 16" wheels, you'd need a ratio of 8:1.

You could try it and see. You could always change the wheels afterwards if
you got strong 12" ones.