[Kartbuilding] go kart handling

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sat Jun 23 23:42:09 IST 2012

Hi Jayson,

I'm not sure exactly what kart you are talking about, but I suspect it was
the racing kart at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/donorkart.htm

I got a racing kart cheap, however the chassis was in bad shape, and the
engine was broken. I decided to weld up the chassis frame and to add a
motorbike engine. However when I welded the frame it became too stiff and
did not flex at all. I tried adding front (heavy) bumpers to the front to
add extra weight, but it still didn't handle great.

In the end I made a new lighter and more flexible chassis. With a kart
frame as there is no suspension, and as there is a solid live rear axle
(where both wheels spin together), in order to go around a corner the
inside rear wheel must slip to allow the outside wheel go faster. For this
to happen the chassis needs to flex.
Photos of the new chasis and kart:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/completekart.htm

Take a read of the following also: