[Kartbuilding] Wooden go-kart design

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sat Jun 23 23:53:21 IST 2012

Hi Jeremy,

That 5.5 Tecumseh engine sounds good for the job. You'll have to get a
centrifical clutch, sprockets and chain for the transmission. See:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/

As for kart plans, I've a few sets on the kartbuilding website depending
on whether you want a "general purpose" or "racing" type kart.
See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/plans.htm
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Highway_Street_Kart_1962/index.html

For your first engine powered kart, I would not bother with suspension. It
adds a lot of complexity to things. With suspension, you have a lot of
extra work to do with the steering and rear axle.

The steering setup is the same on all karts. It involves having front
pivoting stub axles. On each of the pivoting stub axles is a "steering
arm". A Track Rod is attached to each steering arm, and is either pushed
or pulled by the steering column drop-arm.
See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/steering.htm
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/faxle.htm

http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/fullsteering.htm
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_13_Steering_Column_and_Linkage.pdf

If you have any questions just drop us an email.