[Kartbuilding] Axle Shaft

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Wed May 2 21:05:29 IST 2012

Hi,

I got a few different axle shafts.

I made one myself from a 30mm (1" 1/4) solid steel round bar. I welded on
sprockets to suit. The bearings had "grub screws" which had a screw which
tightened onto the axle.

I also got an axle made for me by a local training school (who had a
metalwork lathe) They turned a complete axle for me. It was narrow on the
ends, and thicker in the middle. Bearings were pressed on, either end of
the axle.

If I were you, I'd try making your own axle first. Use solid steel bar, 25
or 35mm in diameter.