[Kartbuilding] Help

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Tue Sep 18 22:53:14 IST 2012

Hi Andy,

If the belts are burning out, you definitely need to change the size of
the pulley wheels.

You really need a gearing ratio of 5:1 (or if you have large wheels, you
need a ratio of 8:1)
So for every 5 turns of the engine, the rear axle turns 1.

For this you'll need a small pulley on the engine and a large (5 times
the diameter) pulley on the rear axle.
If you cannot find a small or large enough pulley to suit, you may have
to setup an intermediate axle and use two belts and sets of pulleys.
Similar to sprockets and chains on
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/OscarForand/P1010103.JPG.html
where an intermediate (or tranny) axle is used.

The one wheel drive should be fine.

Let us know how it goes.