[Kartbuilding] wooden go-kart - wheels, bearings, and axles

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Tue Jan 22 23:37:50 GMT 2013

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your email. You have some interesting articles on your
playborhood.com website I think getting some projects such as a wooden
go-kart would be a really good fit for what you are doing.

The links to the wheels and steel bars you posted look good.
Hopefully the inside diameter of the bearing on the wheel will be a
tight fit onto the rear axle.
I would still put "split pins" either side of the wheel. I.e. drill a
small hole either side of the wheel in the steel bar and place a split
pin (or nail bent into an "S" shape).
See:
http://kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/JPG_wooden_go-kart_plans/Wooden_Kart_Plans_4.jpg
http://kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/JPG_wooden_go-kart_plans/Wooden_Kart_Plans_6.jpg

All you need then is a tight fit between the inner bearing race and the
steel bar, so the bearing rotates properly (as opposed to the inner race
rotating on the steel bar).
What you could do is to roughen up (ideally knurl on a metal lathe) the
steel bar on the ends so the wheel will be a tight fit to make the
bearing rotate.

The wheels I used on http://kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans were
very simple with no bearings. I just used to oil and grease up the wheel
and axle very well.
For what you picked out, you will be OK.

Let us know how it goes and if you get any photos or put up a blog
article on the go-kart build, feel free to drop us an email.