[Kartbuilding] Converting Transmission

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Wed Jul 24 00:01:13 IST 2013

Hi David,

If you have a tractor lawnmower with a horizontal drive output shaft -
then you are in a good position. You can use chains to transmit the
power directly. If it was a vertical shaft, then you would have to use
v-belts and pulleys which can slip.

However if you want a full transmission with clutch and levers, you
would need to get the gearbox from a motorbike.
I done this previously. See photos at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/
Now, it wasn't pretty, or light, but it did work. It had 4 gears and a
manual clutch.
If you look through the photos you will see I created a gear lever
system allowing me to change gears more easily (keeping away from the
moving chains!)
(
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01008.JPG.html
)

It was a bit loud - with the two chains. It was also heavy, as the
gearbox (from a Honda 90) was nearly the complete engine with just the
cylinder head removed and a plate bolted over in place.
It was great fun building and making it all work together.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.