[Kartbuilding] (no subject)

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Tue May 28 22:30:16 IST 2013

Hi Gabby,

Sorry for the slow reply. I will try to answer your questions now.

1. Why are you so interested in Billy carts and constructing them?
I'm interested in anything with an engine that moves! Go-karts gave me
my first taste for fixing and repairing engines and building karts. I
learned how to "make-do" and use old scrap parts to make karts that
moved quite fast! Go-Karts is an area also where you can make a very
simple or a very complicated go-kart. Therefore as you get older and
more experienced, you can build bigger and faster go-karts.

2. Do you know how fast your billy carts go?
They go around 40mph (Miles per hour). However I was more interested in
building and making the go-karts as opposed to racing them. To test the
speed you need a very good straight road which can be hard to find! I
was more interested in making general purpose karts which would work on
grass and tarmac.

3. If you use brakes on your billy cart, what brake system do you use?
I used both drum and disc brakes from motorbikes on my karts. I
attached the drum or disc to the solid live rear axle.
For more powerful braking, (which I never got around to do) another
disc would have to be mounted to each of the front wheels. However this
makes it more difficult as the front and rear brakes have to be
synchronised.

4. What are some ways you used when building your billy cart to make it
faster?
I changed the rear axle sprocket several times to make the kart go
faster. See the following photo where I cut and re-welded a sprocket in
place. This saved me from having to dismantle the rear axle to change
the sprocket.
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01027.JPG.html
I also adjusted the carburettor on some engines and over-rided the
"governor" to allow the engine to "rev" faster.

5. What is your favourite steering system for your billy carts? Is it
the simple string and foot axle or is it something else?
For go-karts (metal ones as opposed to wooden billy carts) I prefer to
make the full front steering end complete with front stub axles, track
rods, a steering column and drop-arm. You can get photos and details of
this on the kartbuilding.net website.

6. Where did you find most of your materials for your billy carts? Are
they recycled or bought? Were your wheels recycled? If so what were they
originally used for?
When I made go-karts first I found most of the materials in "skips",
rubbish bins and neighbours gardens. I pretty much got everything for
free. I also got to know some friendly people and they gave me parts for
the go-kart. The wheels were from wheelbarrows and "prams". Typically
most of the parts I used were from old lawnmowers and old scooters and
small motorbikes.

I hope this helps.