[Kartbuilding] Electric kart fabrication

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Thu Sep 5 23:20:35 IST 2013

Hi Anand,

Take a read of the following document on the kartbuilding website:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/other_karts/Making_an_Electric_Vehicle.pdf

Chain drive would be the most efficient. Belts can slip.
With electric motors, you can stop and start the motor - so there is no
need for clutch.
Reverse gear should be possible by reversing the voltage going to the
motor.

If you could incorporate a gear change - that would be very useful.
For this however, you would need a gearbox. You have to be careful because
gearboxes can be very heavy.