[Kartbuilding] Electric kart fabrication

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Fri Sep 6 22:48:05 IST 2013

Hi,

I've never built an electric kart before - so I don't know specifics.

Take a read of:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-96-Volt-Electric-Motorcycle/step3/Connecting-the-Motor-to-the-Drive-shaft/
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/why-gearbox-evi-15091.html

You don't need to have a gear shifting transmission.
Just forward and reverse using a switch and potentiometer.

I myself would like to have a transmission, with 2 or 4 speeds.
This would require a gearbox however.
You could get a gearbox from:
Electric Golf Cart
Electric Mobility Vehicle
http://www.xtrac.com/sectors/automotive-engineering/automotive/product/118
>From a motorcycle and connect up to the electric motor yourself
If you find it too difficult, the leave out the gears. Just connect the
motor to the rear axle as in the above motorcycle.