[Kartbuilding] Fwd: go-kart engine

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:04:21 IST 2006

Hi Jon,

Small engines with low horsepower = slow gokarts.
That 4.5 hp engine would get a kart doing approx 30mph.
Ideally the best engine for an offroad kart would be a 10hp motorbike
engine with gears and a clutch. Also the ideal engine would have a
HORIZONTAL drive shaft - where you could mount a sprocket and drive the
rear axle with a chain. If you were using just the engine with no gears or
clutch you would have to put a "centrifical clutch" on this HORIZONTAL
shaft (similiar to the clutch on a chainsaw) where if the engine speeds up
- the kart takes off. - This is what you would want for an on-road kart.

Another thing you will want to think about is "how robust" you want your
kart to be? If its just for use by yourself then belt drives could be
easily used. Otherwise if the kart is to be driven by non-mechanics then
chain drive would be best.

The wheels for on-road use would want to be wide. Perhaps you should think
about getting old parts/ wheels from an OLD RACING kart, at your nearest
Karting Arena.

BEst of Luck,
steve